The forums of the McKinley Park News require a free website membership in order to post messages.
Click here to register your free account, or click here to log in.

Anabel Abarca Announces 12th Ward Campaign

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #1 by Justin Kerr
The 12th Ward covers a chunk of Chicago's McKinley Park neighborhood, both currently and after the new ward map goes into effect, targeted for next year. Current 12th Ward Alderman George Cardenas won his candidacy to serve on the Cook County Board of Review, so he's giving up his seat as Alderman.

Cardenas' former chief of staff, Anabel Abarca, just announced her Chicago City Council candidacy for the 12th Ward, receiving Cardenas' endorsement in the process. Here's the announcement we just received about Abarca's campaign:

ANABEL ABARCA ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY FOR 12TH WARD ALDERWOMAN; ALDERMAN GEORGE CARDENAS ENDORSES FORMER CHIEF OF STAFF

Anabel Abarca announces her candidacy for 12th Ward Chicago Alderwoman, stating “today, I announce my candidacy for Alderwoman of the 12th ward, to build a better Chicago and to serve the neighborhoods of McKinley Park and Brighton Park. I know the hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and diligence required to be a public servant. I have begun circulating a petition for my candidacy and I would be honored if the people of 12th ward would elect me as their Alderwoman.”

“Nearly forty years ago, my parents immigrated from Mexico to Chicago in search of a dream. They knew the promise held by this country and came to the greatest city, Chicago, to forge a life for themselves. Like many before, they hoped to play a small part in building a better Chicago. I hope to build upon that dream in building a better 12th ward."

“The families in Brighton Park and McKinley Park remind me of my own: hard working abuelos y abuelas taking care of grandchildren, mom and dads working night shifts to provide, and first-generation kids being translators for their families. Like many of the residents, my parents sent me to Chicago Public Schools. Also like many of the residents, I took out student loans and had to work while going to school full-time. I currently live in McKinley, and I have been a resident of McKinley Park for eight years.”

Anabel served as Chief of Staff to Alderman George Cardenas in addition to staffing the Committee on Health and Environmental Protection and the Chicago Latino Caucus during Cardenas’ chairmanship. As Chief of Staff, Anabel oversaw business development projects, the infrastructure ward menu, and constituent services. Anabel focused on using technology to better serve the residents and implemented good governance best practices. She helped push projects over the finish line including La Villita Park, the Archer/Pershing shopping complex, and the redevelopment of the closed Dominick’s that is now a bustling Mariano’s.

Alderman George Cardenas offers his unequivocal endorsement of Anabel Abarca, stating: “Anabel has been a voice and leader in the ward for the past ten years. I am confident that Anabel has the leadership skills, government experience, and vision to succeed me as alderwoman of the 12th ward. Anabel will be a strong advocate for public safety, equitable development and infrastructure, and a leader in environmental justice issues.”
About Anabel
During graduate school, Anabel worked for the Arizona State Senate. Prior to joining Alderman Cardenas’ office, Anabel served as Congressional Aide to Congressman Mike Quigley (IL-05) where she was responsible for outreach to Latino organizations throughout the district. Anabel also served on the 2011 Congressional campaign of then-candidate Tammy Duckworth. She was a Senior Policy Analyst for the Chicago Department of Public Health.

Anabel is the daughter of Mexican immigrants. She is a proud graduate of Chicago Public Schools. Anabel received a Bachelor’s from DePaul University, a Master’s of Public Administration from Arizona State University and is a graduate of Loyola University Chicago School of Law. Anabel focused her graduate studies on environmental issues in urban cities. She is the first in her family to go to college. Anabel is a longtime resident of McKinley Park and is a proud homeowner.

Anabel is an Illinois licensed attorney and an associate attorney at Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP.
About the 12th Ward
The new 12th Ward, effective for the 2023 election, is on Chicago’s southwest side and consists of the Chicago neighborhoods of McKinley Park and Brighton Park.
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Justin Kerr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Business Grows Here - Space - Resources - Community